Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The power of dogs

I know that many of you have dogs.  Most of my friends and family members have dogs; I think I am attracted to dog people.  And,  I think there is a reason for that.  Dogs are, naturally, helpful creatures, and they often are in the families of those humans who also like to help others.  Those are the people - and the animals - with whom I enjoy spending time!

There are increasing numbers of article about dogs who are helping people get healthier in a variety of ways.   Integrative Cancer Therapies published an article in 2006 about  how ordinary house dogs could identify breast and lung cancer patients by smelling their breath. More recently, a University of Maine study is trying to determine if dogs can 'sniff out' ovarian cancer.  In addition, many nursing homes and hospitals have known for several years that dogs can help patients feel better and, possible even aid in healing and recovery times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment