Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Power of Dogs

I am a dog person.  I have always liked dogs; over the course of the last few years I have grown to love dogs.  I also like dog people.  Most of my friends and family have dogs.  The charming thing about dogs is the way the give - and receive - love unconditionally.  And, people who live with dogs seem to have that same, laid back, easy going way of caring for, and about, people. 

Dogs let you know that you are important to them, and they like to take care of their people.  For example, my little 9 pound Papipom licks my ankles dry for me every day when  exit the shower.  And, there is something magical about the way my 45 pound Wheaton terrier lays across my feet, keeping them toasty warm all night.  I really think he understands that my feet are eternally cold. 


Professionally, I have had the chance to see dogs do amazing things with people who are sick.  I started the Pets for Life program in our pediatric department about 15 years ago.  We have welcomed dogs, cats and even a bunny into childrens' rooms.  But, it is the doggies that do the most for kids.  Like the 18-month-old from the burn  unit who, when out of isolation, toddled to the golden retriever and laid on top of the soft, amber fur, stroking the dog's locks.  There was an instant connection between babe and dog, and their love for one another was almost tangible.  And the 15-
(Andrea Mohin/The New York Times)
year-old who had just learned that he was now a
quadriplegic after a gunshot wound to the spine.  As he snuggled with a little Chihuahua, he confessed
(Andrea Mohin/The New York Times)
that this was the first time that he had touched an animal without hurting it, and further shared that it felt very good.




















Harry is a soft-coated Wheaton terrier who has 'issues' (he sometimes stands in corners, staring at the floor; he sits on my lap and then becomes terrified and jumps down very aggressively; he barks at shadows).  Bamboo is the dog of my dreams.  He is half pomeranian, half papillion and he adores me as much as adore him. 

Bamboo started out in the world a step behind (literally) his brothers and sisters.  His mother chewed off one of his hind legs, thinking it was his umbilical cord (consequently, she was not nominated that year for the Canine Mother of the Year Award!).  His leg was gone up to the knee, and when he was about 3 months old, the bone grew and pushed out of the skin, requiring an amputation at the hip.  But Bamboo has never skipped a beat.  He runs, jumps, does sommersaults and he is completely joyous!  He loves life and everything and everyone in his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment